Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Clone Wars: Heavy Indicator of the Problems with an EU Cartoon

Ah Star Wars: The Clone Wars, how I want to love you.

I’ve tried. I’ve tried so many times, but I just can’t get into it.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate the Clone Wars. It’s a great way to bring new fans into the Star Wars universe and to keep the fandom alive. I just can’t get into the episodes. If I were nine years old again, I’d be in love with the show.

The Clones Wars does deserve some addition credit. Ahsoka is a fantastic female character. The decision to use her instead of a male is a great step forward in furthering integrating women into the sci-fi fandom. In addition, Ashley Eckstein (Ahsoka) worked to bring us the Her Universe line.

What I don’t like about the Clone Wars is that the characters are too overpowered and, to put it bluntly, it’s too cartoon-y. The actions of the characters fit the medium perfectly, but it’s not appealing to all fans. This is fine, as long as this overpowered behavior stays on the animated screen. Keep it out of the books.

I do enjoy some of the episodes. The R2 ones in particular are quite fun. Who doesn’t want to see R2 save the day? The production team has done an excellent job when it comes to deciding when to give us a piece of R2. The episodes don’t occur too much to make his heroics seem overplayed, yet enough to satisfy us fans.

Recently Catherine Taber, who provides the voice of Padme in the Clone Wars and Princess Leia in the Force Unleashed, said that she would like to lend her talents to Jaina Solo. Now, while it would be neat to see some kind of cartoon, movie or live-action show with Jaina Solo, I have reservations.

The Clone Wars messes with continuity. I know, I know, it’s an old argument. As the guys over on the Cantina Cast pointed out, it seems as if the only continuity the production team is worried about the exchange in Revenge of the Sith between General Grievous and Anakin Skywalker.

As a die-hard EU fan, I don’t want to see any of it ruined by a show. Have events happened that I didn’t like? Yes, but once it’s done, it’s done. They can’t undo the mistakes. As I’ve said in a previous entry, I am against reboots. A show would feel like an alternate EU unless it followed events correctly. Of course, one could argue that it could hurt suspense (something that the Clones Wars often lacks).

Ultimately, I feel that the fact that Star Wars is a continuous story makes it a more appealing fandom. Adding a television show into the post-ROTJ Expanded Universe seems like it would add way too many cooks to the kitchen...or Dex’s Diner, if you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment