Saturday, October 29, 2011

An Expanded Universe movie? Not sure about that...

Do you want to see a new Star Wars movie?

Suvudo released a poll on Friday asking what books fans wanted to see in theaters. The options are:

The New Jedi Order series
Shadows of the Empire by Steve Perry
The X-Wing series by Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston
Red Harvest by Joe Schreiber
The Republic Commando series by Karen Traviss


I find myself torn on this issue. One part of me wants to see more Star Wars on the big screen. The other part shudders at what will be ruined and what will disappear. I know, I know. Book to movie conversations happen all the time. Some are crap; some are great. Some put the books to shame. And it’s Star Wars

I voted New Jedi Order, though I have no idea how it would fit into one movie. Shadows of the Empire has already been covered and it isn’t that great of story. The X-Wing series would be exciting and have great visuals, but where to start? Stick with the Rogue Squadron and leave it at that? What counts as a resolution? Multiple books need combined to make one satisfactory movie. As for Red Harvest, eh. It doesn’t have a large enough audience. Same with Republic Commandos. Commandos are nice sometimes, but won't attract the general populace.

I’ve already discussed why I don’t want to see an EU cartoon series and all of those arguments fit my reservations about making an EU movie.

Something I like about Star Wars is that it is somewhat contained. Quite frankly, six movies are enough. I don’t want Star Wars to become Marvel or DC where the character stories depends on the series. The idea that in one universe Luke Skywalker married Mara Jade, in another he became a hermit and in a third he is part cyborg. That it’s all one story adds to the franchise’s appeal.

Hollywood tends to add in ridiculous love triangles, stupid events and other gunk to movies that come from books. For example, check out the trailer for The Lorax. There’s a love story. There’s no love story in The Lorax. It’s not about impressing a girl or joking around with the Lorax. It’s a good lesson in the destructive power of greed. The movie may show that, but is it going to get lost in the other muck? Based on the trailer, probably.

Not all adaptations are bad. Charlotte’s Web stayed true. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone was solid. The Lord of the Rings trilogy was better onscreen than in the books. One for the Money looks like it’s going to be pretty good. It’s possible that a movie could be successful. Don’t hold your breath. The book to movie failure produces more duds than diamonds.

When it boils down whether I want an EU movie, I think the answer is no. There’s too much at stake and EU fans have lost enough as it is.

1 comment: