Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Her Universe talks about Mara Jade shirt

Monday Twitter was abuzz with the news that Her Universe plans to release a Mara Jade shirt for CVI. (check it out via ClubJade) Odds are that this shirt will go fast at the convention. I hope that it will also become available online for those who cannot attend the convention or are unable to purchase it at that time. 

I hope that the introduction of a Mara Jade t-shirt is a sign for the integration of more Expanded Universe characters. While I don’t expect to see every single female character features, it would be nice for Jaina, Iella or Tenel Ka to join the group. EU merchandise is severely lacking. The future inclusion of SWTOR figurines is a little frustrating given how long we’ve been waiting for a solid EU line. 

Jaina Solo action figure
About a year or two ago, I sat on the couch in my living room bidding on Jacen and Jaina action figures on Ebay. It took a couple of tries to win the auction. That’s how in-demand those figures were. There’s a market, no question about it. 

How many Dagobah Lukes or Mustafar Anakins need released each year? Swamping out one wave of “movie figures” for EU-based ones would not be detrimental to sales.
Her Universe released Naboo gold earrings and a Queen shirt for the 3D release of The Phantom Menace. I admit, I was rather surprised that these products weren’t released two weeks or further from the movie date. I have no idea if more people would have ordered the items if they knew they could wear them to the movie showings or not, but it does cause some thought.

The earrings are gold with the royal Naboo emblem in the middle. They match the shirt, which is red with the word “Queen” scrawled across the font.” Both items are rather subtle when it comes to identifying them as Star Wars. I’m not sure if this is a good or bad thing. On one hand, more subtle clothing and jewelry makes the items more adaptable to everyday wear. On the other hand, it almost feels like hiding. It’s a mixed bag with no real answer. 

Celebration VI is still quite a ways off. I wonder if we will see any new products until them. I certainly hope so. In addition to more EU-based merchandise, I keep hoping we’ll see some handbags, necklaces or headbands.

No comments:

Post a Comment