Thursday, February 16, 2012

Movie Review: The Phantom Menace 3D

There’s nothing quite like hearing the 20th Century Fox music in surround sound in a movie theater. The Lucasfilm logo follows and then the first chord of the fantastic work of John Williams blares through the speakers. A certain chill goes through the air. The yellow text scrolls up the screen. No matter how many times I’ve read the scroll for The Phantom Menace, I read it again. 

There’s just something about watching Star Wars on the big screen. My husband and I went to see The Phantom Menace on Friday during the afternoon. The theater gave us a pair of Darth Maul 3D glasses. The collector in me would have liked to receive one pair of Maul and one pair of Anakin’s racing goggles, but I’m not complaining. 

During the movie itself, I was constantly aware of the 3D element, which presented itself the clearest during close-up shots. The 3D, as it is in all 3D films, was distracting. The only upside to the new format was how bright the colors were. We saw this with the Blu-Ray, so it wasn’t anything new. The 3D was better than other films, but it’s still not worth it. 

I don’t like being aware of 3D while watching it. While it’s important to notice that it’s there. It shouldn’t be distracting or annoying. Even though Lucas’s 3D was much more tolerable to the eyes than others, I still experienced eye strain. 

I’d rather watched the movie in 2D once again rather than waste money on 3D. It wasn’t an option. In the small area I live in, the theater is eight screens and something must be a mega blockbuster to earn another screen. The other movies theaters closed years ago due to lack of business. 

The best part about the Star Wars movies coming out in theaters again is simply that we fans can enjoy them once again on the big screen. It brings back feelings of awe and wonder. It’s also a great way for new fans to experience the Saga. For this reason alone, I’ll go see the others—even if I have to view the 3D. 

After viewing TPM once again, I think that the story is pretty solid. It’s a good foundation for what lies ahead. I discussed the plot last week, so I won’t repeat it.

The movie was fourth in the domestic box office. That’s not bad at all for re-release. The Vow beat it, but it was also the weekend before Valentine’s Day. Plenty of people were going on the weekend for the holiday. I’m not sure what Lucas was deem “successful.” 

With the rest of the Saga, I hope that more theaters can show it in 2D so that the fans who can’t watch 3D won’t miss out on the experience. We all need to see Darth Vader say, “Luke, I am your father” on the big screen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment