Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My Star Wars Love Story

I met my husband through the Star Wars fan website, TheForce.net. 

We both wrote fan fiction on the site boards. He was an Anakin/Padme writer and I usually stayed in Beyond, occasionally straying into the Saga era. I was aware of his user name and work, but never had spoken to him about anything on a personal level. 

One Saturday morning in Fall 2005, shortly before I had to leave for work, I received an IM from him. He introduced himself and complemented one of my horrible stories. It was awful. I admit. I started writing fan fiction in eighth grade. I have my share of horribly written stories from years ago, like many other writers.

Anyway, we started talking. He was curious about the EU. We talked online often until we eventually fell for one another. As they say, one thing led to another and before I knew it, it was May 2009, I was standing in front of family and friends saying, “I do.”

Without Star Wars, we wouldn’t know each other. It’s no surprise that this franchise is important to us. We don’t follow the same parts of Star Wars. I’m an EU fan, love pilots and the military. I’m more of an action orientated person while he’s all about the Jedi, the Sith and the Force. He follows the pre-OT era more than I do. He’s the one who brought The Old Republic to my attention. 

We haven’t spent our years together in a constant Star Wars haze. Like any other interest, life interferes, interests move around and other things crop up. Back in 2009, I had started rereading the EU. I had stopped reading during college due to a variety reasons including dissatisfaction and lack of time. He gave me Millennium Falcon as a Christmas gift that year and I was hooked once again. 

We play SWTOR together. We saw The Phantom Menace in 3D last weekend not only because it’s in theaters again, but also because we’ve never watched the movies in that setting together before. 

Star Wars has always been important to me. It’s something I grew up watching and playing. Now it means even more, as it brought about an important part of my life. And this is one of the many reasons I hope the franchise stays strong. 

Happy Valentine’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment