Thursday, February 2, 2012

If anyone can make 3D look right, it's George Lucas

With the upcoming 3D release of The Phantom Menace, I’ve been thinking quite a bit about 3D in general. I’m not a fan of 3D. I don’t think it’s going to take over many homes. It’s simply not friendly to those of us who multitask when we watch TV or movies. 

In addition to the tech aspect of 3D, I also don’t see the point. A tree popping out of the screen doesn’t make the story any better. Look at Avatar. The movie had a mediocre, predictable plot with pretty pictures. Sure, great visuals can bring ticket sales, but that doesn’t mean the movie is good. I spent Avatar begging for the end credits. 

I watched Thor in 3D (as it was the only option and it was free). The 3D was only noticeable during the fast moving scenes that made my head hurt. Legends of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, looked great in 3D, but it was a gimmicky kids’ movie. The 3D didn’t add to the drama. 

And yet, with these complaints I am still going to see The Phantom Menace in this format. Because let’s face it, if there’s anyone who can give us a movie where the 3D is relevant, it’s George Lucas. He’s already done so much to the world of movie making and special effects. He could change 3D to something worth the time and money. 

When special effects look bad for the time, it distracts viewers from what is going on in the movie. I’m not talking about the horrible looking creatures at the end of Ghost. Those bad effects are forgivable. I mean when you can tell that a person is CGI for a few moments. 

Just because we know that CGI was used doesn’t mean that we want it to be that obvious.  
When watching Avatar, little bits of forest would fly out of the screen in the corners. It was rather annoying. That’s not good 3D. I don’t know what would constitute a good 3D, but it’s not a podracing flying in my face. 

Watch TPM carefully. It may show us what the future of 3D really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment